Other Ways to Get Help
Being a parent is never easy. It can be lonely, frustrating, heart breaking and over-whelming.
Life-changing events can happen to anyone. That is why Home-Start Leeds is ready to support families through their toughest times.
Every Home-Start volunteer is trained to help them work alongside you to overcome the challenges you are facing. We work with you to build on your strengths and give you the support that you tell us that you need.
There are many other ways to get help and we are starting to pull together what other support you and your family can get in and around Leeds.
We will keep this page continually updated as and when we get more information and hope that you find this useful.
- Childline (www.childline.org.uk) – 0800 1111
- Children and young people social care in Leeds – 0113 2224403
- Children and young people social care in Leeds (out of hours) – 0113 2409536
- Adult social care in Leeds – 0113 2224401
- Police Safeguarding Unit Leeds – 0113 2414180
- Citizens Advice Leeds – 0113 2234400
- Family Information Service Leeds (family hub) – 0800 731 0640
- Forced Marriage Advice (Karma Nirvana) – 0800 5999 247
- Housing Advice Leeds – 0113 2224412
- Housing Enquiries Leeds – 0800 1884000
- Welfare Rights Unit Leeds – 0113 3760452
- Domestic Violence Services Leeds (24 hrs) – 0113 2460401
- Mens Advice Line – 0808 801 0327
- Perpetrators – Respect helpline – 0808 802 4040
- Support after Rape and Sexual Abuse – 0808 802 3344
- www.mindwell-leeds.org.uk – mental health website for people in Leeds
- www.mindmate.org.uk – mental health website for young people in Leeds
Call 08082 082 138 (freephone) to speak to a trained and independent Citizens Advice advisor agent, Monday to Friday, 10.00am to 4.00pm.
Better Leeds Communities
Call 0113 2754142 for free, independent and expert advice on benefits, debt, housing and money issues, Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm.
New Wortley Community Centre
New Wortley Community Centre is a fantastic organisation which holds a variety of different activities, wellbeing packages and support as well as a food store and recipes. Further information can be found on their website and social media. Address: New Wortley Community Centre, 40 Tong Road, Leeds LS12 1LZ.
They can help with access to food parcels, hygiene products, a friendly chat to ease isolation, laundry service (charges apply) and access to hot meals delivered to your door (charges apply).
Open Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm – Phone 0113 3760330.
Out of hours call and leave a message on 07395 943702 and they will get back to you.
Table Talk Sessions
An opportunity to talk and play table tennis.
Tuesdays 1.30pm to 2.30pm – contact Bryan Powell 07518 650872 [email protected]
Urban Task Force
An outdoor environment project helping maintain or enhance community spaces in New Wortley and Armley.
Tuesdays and Wednesdays 10.00am to 2.00pm – contact Mike Sims on 07472 415387 [email protected]
Womans’ walking group
Every Wednesday at 1pm – contact Gabby Sinclair 07396 673371 [email protected]
A drop in coffee morning for talking about wellbeing, mental health, stress and how to cope -currently on zoom however will be going back into the center soon
Every Wednesday from 9.30am to 10.30am
Contact Bryan Powell on 07518 650872.
A space to join each other and talk and build the community – currently on zoom will be going back to center soon.
Mondays and Tuesdays 9.30am to 10.30am
Contact Bryn Powell on 07518 650872.
Mens’ walking group
Every Friday 10.00am meet
Contact Gabby Sinclair on 07396 673371.
New Wortley Food Store
This provides a recipe pack/meal to feed 4-6 people £1.50 for 10 items from the food store. Special Offer – for £10 a week you can access 5 recipe packs and 10 items from the food store.
Provide help with benefits housing food and any other issues you might be facing. Contact their office on 0113 2455553.
Children’s Center Counselling Service
Free access offering counselling support if you are a parent or carer of a child 0-5 or pregnant/or your partner is pregnant.
Call or text your nearest counsellor to find out more, or use the following contacts:
- North West Leeds (Burley, Hawksworth, Little London, Woodhouse) – Andrea 0798 595 9071
- North East Leeds (Burmantofts, Chapeltown, Gipton, Harehills, Richmond Hill) – Pam 0798 595 9072
- East Leeds (Halton, Meadowfield, Seacroft, Swarcliffe) – Sue 0796 265 5667
- South Leeds (Belle Isle, Cottingley, Holbeck, Hunslet) – Karen 07985 960 937
- Beeston, Middleton – Pam
- West Leeds (Farnley, Swinnow) – Andrea
- Armley, Bramley, Castleton, Hollybush, Wortley – Debbie 07932 111934.
Cranmore and Raylands Community Centre, Belle Isle
£2.50 for 12 items
Tuesday and Thursdays – need to register on 07432 702911.
Bramley Care Bear Food Distribution – Fairfield Community Centre, Fairfield terrace, LS13 3DQ
Sundays 11.00am to 12.00pm, you must book a slot – call Angela – 07805 225270.
Harehills – St Aiden’s Food share
Saturdays between 10.30am to 12.00pm
Bramley Community Centre, Waterloo Lane, LS13 2JB
Wednesdays 12.00pm to 1.30pm, you must book a slot – contact Angela – 07805 225270.
Holbeck Sluglow, The Holbeck, Jenkinson Lawn, Leeds LS11 9QX
Hyde Park – Leeds Grand Mosque
(Love in a box) Halal food box
Sundays 10.30am to 12.30pm email [email protected] or text/call Khalid – 07734 391088.
Pudsey Community Project
Provides community, youth/children and poverty resources for Pudsey and the immediately surrounding area.
Contact 07368 451603 or email [email protected]
Leeds North & West Foodbank, Burley Hill, Leeds LS4 2PU
You call or email and they will talk through your situation and put you in touch with a relevant local agency who can issue you with a Foodbank Voucher.
0113 3760330 to speak to Leeds Local Welfare Support Scheme or email [email protected]
Leeds South & East Foodbank
You call or email the Foodbank and they will talk through your situation and put you in touch with a relevant local agency who can issue you with a Foodbank Voucher.
0113 3760330 to speak to Leeds Local Welfare Support Scheme or email